Friday, April 8, 2011

Pedestal Rocks

For our anniversary last October, we took a day off from work and headed along the curvy road to a tiny town in Arkansas called Pelsor. (If we had gone too much further, we would have ended up in Russellville.) We went "kidless" this time around because I had heard mixed reviews about how dangerous it was. Plus, it was our anniversary. Why would we take kids? :)

When we finally arrived (it was about 2 to 2 1/2 hours), we pulled into this tiny little parking lot and headed down the trail. There are actually two trails here...Pedestal Rocks and Kings Bluff. We only had time for Pedestal Rock, a 2.2 mile hike, since we had to get back to pick up kids from school.



I was kind of excited when I saw this sign. I have been kind of secretly hoping to see a bear. Not close, close, but close enough to get a picture without making it mad. Two different friends I have saw bears last year on hikes. I was not one of them...

Finally we came out to our first overlook. I think sometimes there is a waterfall in this area. However, we had a really dry fall so there was nothing but leaves falling...
The rock formations were just beautiful. Some of the cliffs had rails, others didn't. After seeing the trail though, I would take the kids. There are a few "scary" areas but I never felt like I was in total danger unless I put myself there.
The colors were amazing.
It took a little walking to find "Pedestal Rocks". Once we saw them though, the name made perfect sense.

Apparently, per the website for the trail, the pedestal rocks were formed by weathering. No matter how they were formed, they were just amazing.

There was an area where you could get down by the bases of the rocks which is probably what we would do if we took the kids that way. Much less of a height to fall. :) Plus, they love playing around rocks.

I really wish we had had more time to explore. And I would love to hike the Kings Bluff trail at some point. Hopefully we will be back!

Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment